Who’s On The Phone?/The Voice of the LORD
My sheep hear my voice; and I know them, and they follow me.
How do we know it’s His voice we are hearing – can we be sue/confident?
It’s like our caller id’s on our phones ….– we want to be guaranteed it is God we are listening to – sometimes not only that, but we want Him to tell us every little detail about what we are to do and we want assurance it be successful/a profitable outcome for us!
Good news for us – we can know who’s voice we are hearing and if what that entity is saying is for our benefit/well-being. Most of John 10 is Jesus explaining who He was and how His followers/flock know Him.
He has provided us with filters and checks/balances:
- Scripture – Scripture is the inspired, inerrant, infallible Word of God declaring His design and purpose for mankind (2 Timothy 3:15-17; 2 Peter 1:21) “For the Word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give an account.” (Hebrews 4:12-14) His Word easily divides our complicated bodily systems into three parts – physical body/ joints-marrow(our outermost part) ; soul- mind, emotion, will; spirit (inner, yet recognizable like our outer, physical bodies). Let there be no doubt – there is no double-speak here. God plainly states how it is. God does not lie. He has no reason to lie – what He benefit from lying? It is not in His character.
- Holy Spirit – God the Father has sent the Holy Spirit, the Comforter, the Counselor. The third person of the Godhead/Trinity is with us as soon as we accept Christ as our Savior. Every believer has a right to be baptized in the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:4-8 and Luke 24:49) for empowerment in effective service and witness. Upon salvation, you are given or filled with gifts and empowerment – use them. First, the indwelling where you are convicted of sin; then the infilling (often needs refilling) where gifts and empowerment for service are given; and the baptism – speaking in tongues. For some, all happen instantaneously, for others a little at a time. Most importantly, allow the Holy Spirit to do His work. He will only do what you allow.
- Word of Knowledge/Word of Wisdom- 1 Cor. 12:8 – Holy Spirit gives us –(personal prophecy)
- Godly Counsel – people you trust – still, test the spirits 1 John 4:1-3. King David, as well as others, had long-trusted friends/advisors that gave ungodly counsel – Joab and Abiathar, the priest said Adonijah should be king during the transition of King David and King Solomon.
- Circumstances & Timing – this one can be difficult on its own, but when combined with the other checks and balances, can help
- Confirmation – Can proceed from others who may not even know all of your situation, but God has divinely given them a word to corroborate/verify/testify what He has spoken to you
- The Peace of God – authenticate/substantiate
Remember God’s goodness and what He has already done for you. God’s not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill? (Numbers 23:19)